Some people say drill and practice is really “drill and kill.” What can teachers do to make sure this kind of use doesn’t happen and drill and practice can serve a useful function?
Drill and kill is a strategy that was used for generations. I had a discussion at work today about how when I was coming up I was taught to memorize my multiplication facts. We practiced daily with flashcards and writing them 3 or 4 times each. What we helped me recall my facts quickly, but I did not get exposed to the key action; what makes 4 times 3 equal 12? I didn’t know what an array was until I started working in the education field. These days it is a state requirement that students understand the key action of multiplication as well as the operation by the end of third grade. Technology provides an easy way for current teachers to feed into the idea of drill and kill with programs like fast facts available in the classroom. The truth is teachers have to find a balance. Kids still need practice with facts that they have to recall quickly. Drilling programs also assist the struggling students with keeping up with the average student, but teachers still need to teach. Whether it is whole group, small group, or one to one, teachers still need to teach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment